|
|
Our Proud History - 1910 - The school was started at St. Mary's Church premises by Rev. Father Augustine Renautus Julius Hycinth Gillette of the oblates of Mary Immaculate. Only the Primary classes were held. Florence Poulier - A christian lady was the first principal.
- 1925 - The institution was taken over by the Holy Family Sisters, the Founder's of Women's Education in Sri Lanka. Rev. Mother Sebastian was the Principal. The sisters had to travel from the Bambalapitiya Convent.
- 1935 - On June 21st the school was shifted to the building at the present premises.
- 1940 - Rev. Mother De Sales was appointed as the principal. Students were sent for the Senior School Certificate Examination. Commerce classes were started. A Tennis Court and Sports Stadium were put up. The Past Pupils Association was formed. The adjoining plot of one acre land belonging to Dr. J.F.Pieris was purchased by the Holy Family sisters for the school.
- 1959 - Rev. Mother Agnes succeeded Rev. Mother De Sales as the 4th Principal. A new building with four class rooms was constructed. Science subjects were started.
- 1962 - On February 1st the School was taken over by the Government.
- 1967 - Mrs. J. Waidyarathne was appointed as the Principal.
- 1968 - The Western Band was formed.
- 1970 - The Eastern Band was formed. Aesthetic subjects were started. A two storey building was completed.
- 1985 - The Golden Jubilee celebrations of the school. The Library and Reading room were put up by the school development society. The Home Science room was equipped.
- 1988 - The Basketball court was constructed.
- 1989 - Rev. Sister Hubert Marie was appointed as the principal
- 1990 - Ground floor of the three storeyed building was completed.
- 1991 - New toilets were built
- 1992 - A separate Science Laboratory was built for Grade 6 - 11 students was done up by the Past Pupils Association. The sick room was equipped by them and a room for dancing classes was set up.
- 1993 - Softball Cricket and Basketball were introduced.
- 1994 - Staff room refurnished with better facilities. Students counseling was introduced. June 29th The Year of the Diamond Jubilee. On 6th October the Students Saving Center of Seylan Bank was established.
- 1995 - April 8th Diamond Jubilee Celebrations. Thanksgiving mass was presided over by the Archbishop of Colombo the most Rev. Dr. Nicholas Marcus Fernando. A walk was organized by the past pupils.
- 1996 - Rev. Sister P.D. Ethel Mary Violet assumed duties as an assistant principal on the 21st of January Rev. Sister Bonita Fernando assumed duties as an assistant principal on the 24th of September. Commenced work on new set of classrooms , 3 storeyed which includes the Junior Lab,Dancing room and Art room on the 3rd of October. The new building is declared open by the Hon. Chief Minister Mr. Susil Premjayanth, Junior Band performed for the 1st time on the 9th of December.
- 1998 - Obtained sports equipment, Computer classes were introduced. A room for the English Society was opened. Received a donation of chairs from late Mr. C.V. Gunarathna.
- 1999 - The first Holy Communion Service was held for the first time in the school hall on the 18th of September. The foundation stone for the Auditorium was blessed and laid by Rev. Father Ernest Poruthota Parish Priest of St. Mary's Dehiwala
- 2000 - Computer room donated by the Past Pupils Association and the Activity room was declared open on the 3rd of March by Hon. Susil Premjayanth
- 2001 - The school welcomed His Lordship Bishop Marius Pieris on his first official visit as the Auxiliary Bishop of Colombo on the 11th of March
- 2003 - The new school auditorium named Holy Family Auditorium was blessed and opened by His Lordship Bishop Marius Pieris on the 11th of March and farewell to Sr.Ethel Pasqual, Rev. Sister Rita Mercy was appointed as the new principal. Advanced Level Art Stream was introduced to the school and another class was introduced for the Commerce Stream on the 25th of July, Media Unit was started on the 30th of July
- New canteen was declared open on the 12th of September by Mr. Nimal Bulathsinghala, the Familian bookshop was opened by the Mayor of Dehiwala - Mt. Lavinia Mr. Danasiri Amarathunga.
- 2004 - English Medium was introduced to Grade 6 on the 5th of January, Primary Library was declared open on the 23rd of January by Mr. Thompson Mendis.
- "Creations 2004" - An Educational Exhibition and Trade Fair. Also the launching of the Official Web Site of the school http://www.hfcdehiwala.org by Mr. Keerthi Udawatta, Changing rooms and toilets of the auditorium was declared open on the 12th of March
- Familian Walk 2004 was organized by the Past Pupils Association, the grotto of our Lady of Lourdes was declared open by Rev. Father Ernest Poruthota Parish Priest of St. Mary's Dehiwala, the road leading to the school was tarred on the 31st of June
- A classroom complex - Art Room, Sports Room & Islamic Room was declared open on the 14th of October
- 2005 - Familian Kiddies park and Science Lab for the Senior Section (Grade 9 -11) were declared open on the 27th of January by Rev. Father Benedict Joseph, the Familian archives was declared open by Rt.Rev.Dr.Oswald Gomis ArchBishop of Colombo, the foundation stone for the three storeyed Computer Laboratory was laid by Rt.Rev.Dr.Oswald Gomis ArchBishop of Colombo
- The 70th Jubilee was celebrated
- 2007 - "Creations 2007" was held, A new building complex was declared open on the 4th of December
- 2008 - Farewell of Rev. Sister Rita Mercy, Rev. Sister Ranjani Silva was appointed as the new Principal
|